What does one do when you have the following… enough potatoes on hand to feed a small army, it’s pouring rain out, and it’s a much needed cozy Sunday at home? Throw some Skinny Potato Cheese Soup in the slow cooker, of course! (That or eat baked potatoes everyday for the next week, and to that my waistline said, nuh-uh girlfriend!)
I’ll be honest, until now, I’ve never made potato cheese soup. It’s been years since I’d even had it, remember how yummy it was, but how heavy and “comforting” it can be! So, I had to hunt for some healthier alternatives and combined ideas I had found (thanks Pinterest!) to make it my own.
Here is the final recipe! Both the hubs and I agreed that we’d make it again… always the sign of approval from an honest husband! We hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
- 6 medium to large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 42 ounces organic chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond or cashew milk (Or 2% milk if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- turkey bacon bits
- Set slow cooker to HIGH.
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes, then place in slow cooker.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings; then cover and cook for 2-3 hours. (You want the potatoes to be softened.)
- Using an immersion blender, semi-blend potatoes into broth. *We left some chunks of potato in ours, but you can either blend completely or use a potato masher and leave very chunky.
- Stir in milk and cheese.
- Serve into your favorite bowl and top with a little extra shredded cheese, bacon bits, chives, and whatever else you like.
I would love to hear if you enjoy this soup, or have any helpful suggestions to make it even better!